AggiesForum.com  
December 12, 2017, 05:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AggiesForum.com is THE best place to discuss Aggie Sports. Invite your fellow Aggies to join!!

Home   Help Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: New coach?  (Read 1775 times)
3rd Gen Ag

on: January 10, 2017, 10:45:12 AM

So, it appears that Sumlin has at least one more year, but it doesn't look good.  Then again, it didn't look good going into this past season and he was able to maintain 8-5, despite the schedule and roster concerns.  However, just because it's now the doldrums off-season, let's have a wild speculation session.  Assuming Sumlin gets fired, who do you think A&M should go after that would be a realistic possibility AND a good fit?

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:21:32 PM

I was pretty focused on who was available this year, and hoping we would get Herman.
I'm not sure about the landscape now. Is Morris a guy you would want?

DallasHorn

You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score-
Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:52:31 PM

seems to be doing decently with what he has to work with, but that also the argument used in favor for our hiring of Sumlin from Houston, at the time.

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:45:32 PM

So would you favor an up and coming guy from the position coach ranks? Herman had definitely made "flavor of the month" status, and we will see how that works. However, he had made the rounds and was a HC.
Kind of a hard sale at a power 5 school these days for a guy that hasn't been a HC. Yet that limits the pool.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:12:12 PM

I guess I'm more in line with the thought of bringing in a mid-career guy like Morris, or like Sumlin or Charlie Strong were.  I still can't see why Charlie didn't succeed in Austin, unless he was just making too many changes too fast.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:32 PM

I think Charlie made some bad decisions on assistant coaching hires, especially early. Pretty sure it didn't help to have the worst AD on the planet as your boss for half your time here. Story was Patterson wouldn't approve transportation to pick up the coaches and their wive for the UCLA game at JerryWorld a couple of years ago. Just incredible.
I love the 5 core values and it seems Herman has adopted them as well, wish they were NCAA mandated...thinking we would eventually see a drop off in some of the stupidity that makes the headlines every year.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:55 AM

Drop-off in stupidity?  Never underestimate the ability of teenagers to screw something up!

Seriously, though.  Charlie's failure is a bit of a mystery.  I originally wanted him when Sherman was hired and again when Sumlin was hired.  Oh, well.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 09:57:42 PM

You got me there. I have two of in my house, but thankfully both girls....their stupid level is different than mine was. I did manage to survive (never even went to jail, but that could be at least in part because my dad told me if I ended up there I was spending the night.)

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:15:25 AM

I'm starting to think Charlie's failure was "organizational" in the sense that he was not a great delegator and for his first year+ we had a total tool as A.D.
I've now heard from more than one person that the difference in their work level under Herman is breathtaking. Really sounds like Charlie was out of his depth, didn't have a vision.
I have a real affection for Charlie and his core values. I think we would have a whole lot less problems if more coaches followed the same path. Probably a little too biblical for most... even Baylor

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:10:49 AM

Yeah, I guess we'll see how he does at USF.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 10:59:01 AM

Hope and think he will do well. There is nothing wrong with the core values. He may also have learned a few lessons on how to handle a program.
The demands at USF should seem pretty easy to handle by comparison.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 07:53:18 AM

He may be fighting a little more drug & thug culture influence in the Miami area, but having worked in Florida, maybe he's used to that.  He had a blowup with a couple of players just in the last month or so, but I think he's handling it despite a public smackdown by a judge who's also a USF alumn.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 09:30:36 PM

I'm more than a little confused by that. The judge had to be aware that Charlie had not been there that long, nor recruited the guy. What did she expect psychic powers on Charlie's part? I just guessing but did she have some ax to grind or wanted to get in the headlines? Just seems really odd to me.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:14 AM

Well, TAMU is obviously getting a new coach, likely Fisher and I'm torn on that one.  He obviously had results at FSU, but not sure he can keep it up r foster the right culture here.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 09:28:24 PM

He may prove to be a winner at A&M but the 10 year part of the deal makes me scratch my head. He has a rep of being hard to get along with and if things go sideways a 10 year guarenteed deal could be a problem.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:29:12 AM

yeah, it seems to be part of a recent attitude of "We'll just go pull more money off of the money tree."

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:50:49 PM

It will take some time to tell. It may turn out to be a genius stroke, and it sure shows a commitment to getting Jimbo. Could be that he wouldn't budge for less than 10 years.
Also, as we managed to prove a few years back, it's a good thing to have your A.D. on board with the coach.
Or I should say, we proved you shouldn't have a total asshat (Patterson) as your A.D.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:45 AM

It seems to be that you need a guy who's well-balanced as AD.  Equal parts business and Cheerleader/sports fan.  Patterson seemed to be too much business, as did our Bill Byrne and the guy after him. 

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 09:38:19 PM

Agree on your points, Patterson was the worst I've ever seen, he did damage we are still trying to fix. I honestly was more elated on the day he was fired than when we got rid of Mackovic (and I was nearly dancing in the streets then)!

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:46 PM

Mackovic at least had some positives in his time.  Seemed like Patterson pissed off everyone.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 11:28:18 PM

He did, he probably is best remembered for Big 12 game against Nebraska but his personality (or lack) made it to where he just never got the whole program behind him.
Patterson had such a prickly personality that his honeymoon period lasted about two days, and I'm not joking. I honestly can't think of 3 thinks he did in his 22 months that were good calls. He fired good people, threatened the entire department with firing if they disclosed anything from the office (like the boss is an incredible dick). He also was the reason behind Strong having trouble hiring some of the assistants he wanted (cost too much). As well as the alienating some boosters. The Red McCombs quote, in particular the "it's like a kick in the gut" bit was all about Patterson not returning his calls. Seems Red is friends with Gruden and thought he could talk him into taking the job. Patterson goes into hiding and hires Strong.
He never clued in, if your going to take donors money you have to at least listen to them when they want to talk. You still don't have to do what they are asking, but you need to take the call. Guy was just an awful fit, hope to never hear of him again.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
  Print  

Jump to: