AggiesForum.com  
May 23, 2018, 07:54:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AggiesForum.com is THE best place to discuss Aggie Sports. Invite your fellow Aggies to join!!

Home   Help Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: New coach?  (Read 3490 times)
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 09:41:38 AM

agreed.  Honestly, i was still good with giving Sumlin one more year, considering all they went through this year with injuries.  Now i'm disappointed that Jimbo didn't keep John Chavis.

Speaking of Jimbo, how appropriate is it that the Aggies have a coach named Jimbo?  Doesn't that just seem to fit our (outdated) hick reputation?

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:24 PM

Beats the hell out of "Bubba" or "Booger"!

DallasHorn

You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score-
Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:34 AM

Cheesy not by much, though!  Y'all holding up okay in big D?  It was 19 here in Cypress and a friend of mine from East Texas, can't remember where he's from another message board, woke up to 8 degrees!

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 09:52:30 AM

So far so good, it was 16 when I got up, at 9:20 it's now 20! I think the pipes are okay, but taking the dog out to pee was painful. Glad all is well at your end. Back in the late 80's I was in Austin when it got down to single digits. It was well below what had been tested in quite some time and became a winter wonderland of broken pipes. There was a Jazz and dinner club over on Barton Springs rd. that had the building on concrete piers with parking (and apparently un-insulated pipes) underneath. The place looked like Carlsbad Caverns, and between the ice cave at the top of the hill and the now ice covered 12 uphill angled driveway I don't think anyone got up there for 3 days.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 07:36:29 PM

Wow, I thought this site was down for the count this time. I've never seen anything quite like this.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 04:31:55 PM

yeah, it really seems like you and I are the only ones left but it keeps saying bandwidth exceeded!

on another note, your man Herman certainly cleaned up this last recruiting cycle!  A little TOO well!

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:24 PM

I liked that the class seems to fit what we need. Even when Mack was pulling in good classes there were times when I just couldn't see why we took some guy at DB when we seemed to need OL help.
Looks like your guys had a strong finish, should be interesting to see next year. The early signing period is going to make it interesting from now on with coaching changes. Maybe there will be a new sweet spot in the football year to fire and hire. Something like 3 weeks left in the season.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:59 AM

yeah, i think early signing needs to be before the HS season really starts

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:41 PM

Interesting thought, that would require a real leap of faith on the coaching side as they wouldn't have a Sr. season to evaluate. You might even end up with a H.S. version of the not playing in the bowl phenomenon. UIL might pitch a fit!

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 04:00:23 PM

Well if they've already got an offer, you want them based on thinking they're good enough from seeing them before their senior season, right?  If you're to that point, is a bad senior season really going to change your opinion after seeing their previous years?

Also, i think guys with an LOI already sent in would be less scared of the damage from doing playoff games.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 10:21:34 AM

As slowly as the NCAA seems to move on these type of things I think we are probably stuck with this for a couple of more years anyway.
The big div I schools are always going to get some talent, but can you imagine being a new hire HC at a smaller school or a non football school? Your first recruiting class would just be a throw away. Assuming you got hired because the last guy wasn't winning it's just going to take you that much longer to get your program in place. Considering that some expect instant winning (reminds me of a doofus that used to post here) that's a bad combo.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:35 AM

Essentially, that's what Herman himself said, though.  Why try so hard with a class that, statistically speaking, does very little to help a new regime.  Why rush and just recruit star ratings without being able to fully determine if they'll mesh.  most of a transition class was recruited by the previous staff and is more likely than not to be a square pegs in round holes, even if they're great players.  Although I have to admit, I think certain positions ought to be good in any system.  Wide receivers, running backs and Olinemen, for example.

Print  

Jump to: