AggiesForum.com  
August 14, 2018, 04:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AggiesForum.com is THE best place to discuss Aggie Sports. Invite your fellow Aggies to join!!

Home   Help Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to this site?  (Read 985 times)
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Co. H-1 Raiders 1995-1999

Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:46 AM

I honestly don't know what to think, the 5 games coming up to OU are, Maryland, Tulsa, USC, TCU, and K State.

You'll beat Tulsa for sure!  USC-West and MD are kind of wild cards and I have no idea how good they'll be this year, but I think y'all will likely split those games.  TCU will be good (as always under Patterson).  K-state is a toss up.  zero-u will likely win the big xii (or at least be in the top-3 of the conf). 

I see the big xii shaking out like this:

1-3: tcu, ou, osu...in no particular order
4-5 k-st & wva (no particular order)
6-7 tech & tu (no particular order)
8-9 isu then Baylor (in that order)
10 ku

The middle of the conf (4-6) is really up for grabs and one of the teams may be able to jump into the top-3 if things go right.  The bottom of the conf (8-10) is pretty much set, but it's possible isu breaks into the middle (perhaps even Baylor, but that's a stretch).  It's an early guess and we'll see how it shakes out. 

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

"Boys, it's time to win some damn football games."

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:39 PM

You'll beat Tulsa for sure!  USC-West and MD are kind of wild cards and I have no idea how good they'll be this year, but I think y'all will likely split those games.  TCU will be good (as always under Patterson).  K-state is a toss up.  zero-u will likely win the big xii (or at least be in the top-3 of the conf). 

I see the big xii shaking out like this:

1-3: tcu, ou, osu...in no particular order
4-5 k-st & wva (no particular order)
6-7 tech & tu (no particular order)
8-9 isu then Baylor (in that order)
10 ku

The middle of the conf (4-6) is really up for grabs and one of the teams may be able to jump into the top-3 if things go right.  The bottom of the conf (8-10) is pretty much set, but it's possible isu breaks into the middle (perhaps even Baylor, but that's a stretch).  It's an early guess and we'll see how it shakes out. 

Maybe I'm nuts, but I see ISU being the next "WTF, did Hell freeze over?" overachieving team in the B12.  I like that they keep getting 1-2 impossible wins each year and they might get a year soon where it all breaks loose and falls where they need it to to get 10+ wins.

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 11:07:17 AM

Maybe I'm nuts, but I see ISU being the next "WTF, did Hell freeze over?" overachieving team in the B12.  I like that they keep getting 1-2 impossible wins each year and they might get a year soon where it all breaks loose and falls where they need it to to get 10+ wins.

They might.  If k-st & wva have down years, I could see isu passing up tech and tu to jump in the top-5 of the conf.  I don't see it being a long-term trend, though...more like a 1 (maybe 2) year deal before the coach becomes a trendy pick and moves on to another team. 

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:17 PM

ISU was playing solid ball all year. They came up short a couple of times due to just being outmanned. Needless to say I got one hell of a laugh out of them dropping OU at their house.

DallasHorn

You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score-
Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:21:37 AM

They might.  If k-st & wva have down years, I could see isu passing up tech and tu to jump in the top-5 of the conf.  I don't see it being a long-term trend, though...more like a 1 (maybe 2) year deal before the coach becomes a trendy pick and moves on to another team.  
Yeah, that's the main problem is how long they can keep the coach and what his successor is like when they do lose him.  Surprisingly, they're already in the top 5 of the B12, as they tied for 4th place last year although it was a 4-way tie.!  They beat OU in freaking Norman, Tceh in Lubbock, TCU, and Baylor (meh) in Waco!  Every loss they had except the horns was 7 points or less and that one was 17-7.  Sounds like they've already gotten their foot in the door.
Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:23:27 AM by 3rd Gen Ag Logged

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 09:33:49 PM

It's hard to imagine a path where they stay good for an extended period. But it happened for K-State!

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 07:24:22 AM

And Baylor!  Freakin' Baylor!  If it hadn't been for the whole rape cover-up thing (Art Briles should never be a head coach again), who knows how long they would have gone on being a top-3 team in the B12?

3rd Gen Ag

Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50:07 AM

on an un-related note, what is up with the horns finding room in their schedule for Bama, but not A&M.  Seriously?  That's some BS.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 09:19:11 PM

Story is that we asked, and the dates we had wouldn't work for you. I'm sure there is plenty of posturing going on, but I'm sure at some point it will happen.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 08:37:36 AM

on an un-related note, what is up with the horns finding room in their schedule for Bama, but not A&M.  Seriously?  That's some BS.

A loss to bama doesn't hurt a team much these days as bama will be expected to win.  In fact, a close loss to bama arguably boosts a team more than it hinders it.  If your only loss is to bama and you win your conf, I can see a playoff spot possibly available.  A loss to another team (like an A&M) would only hurt.  If it's tu, losing to A&M could have other negative ripple effects (recruiting in Texas, for example).

We've beaten this dead horse for awhile now so I won't re-hash it too much.  I don't see A&M and tu playing a regular season game anytime soon (perhaps 10+ years from now).  A bowl game is possible, but there's only so many big xii vs SEC bowls.  The top big xii Texas team is TCU.  Patterson's Frogs have done well in the big xii and I don't see that changing as long as he's there.  Perhaps Herman will do better than Strong vs TCU? 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:26 AM

The landscape by the time we play those games is unknown. Nobody stays on top forever, but Saben is having an excellent run. Likewise, we won't be down forever. I've been to several TX/OU games where we were both top 10 and I remember going to one that wasn't on TV. I think that one could have had something to do with OU cheating (again), but neither team was worthy of the airtime. Same could apply here. If we were playing tomorrow though... I'd hate it.

Patterson is probably the best coach they ever had, but the magic has come from their OC as of late. I could see them having a down year in 2018, but they do seem to make their system work for them.

As for us playing, I think we would almost have to meet in the playoffs. SEC had a chance to schedule us in the Texas bowl but passed, so that MAY mean they don't want that to happen (maybe hurt SEC recruiting in Texas?) Can you imagine anything greater than us squaring off for the NC? But again, the playoff committee would try and make that happen in the semi-final for TV ratings. They wouldn't want it to be an all-Texas NC game.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:21 AM

"Future Schedules" on the athletic dept website shows us with a Home & Home vs. Miami in 2022 & 2023, Notre Dame 2024 & 2025 so you're probably right.

DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 09:27:21 PM

Both those programs went on long runs of being good/great but now, who knows. How about we both beat 'Bama, we've only ever lost to them once. We could make them fear the teams from Texas!

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:15 AM

Patterson is probably the best coach they ever had, but the magic has come from their OC as of late. I could see them having a down year in 2018, but they do seem to make their system work for them.

Patterson is arguably the best coach in the big xii now that Stoops has gone.  Snyder is another great coach, but I don't see him staying around much longer (he's already retired once).  The jury is out on Herman, but one has to say that he certainly has the potential to be a force in the big xii (which was what he was hired to do). 

The SEC "pool-of-6" bowl game picks has certain rules that they follow.  One of which is that they rotate the teams going to bowls so that a given team does not go to a certain bowl game two years in a row (not sure if they'd allow 2 of 3 years?).  The Texas Bowl is up and down from year to year, hosting 6-7 win teams to hosting 8 win teams....you never know what you're going to get.  It would have been interesting to see A&M face off vs t.u. in the 2017 bowl instead of facing a wake forest team, but I don't see the SEC actively avoiding an A&M vs tu matchup.  The SEC has no problem recruiting in Texas. 

As for the SEC, the west race this year will be good.  I see bama and auburn as the two toughest teams that the Ags will have to face.  I see arky and the MS teams being at the bottom 3 and lsu being just above them.  If things go well, here's how I see the West shaking out:

bama
A&M / auburn
lsu
miss st / ol miss
arky

In the east, it's hard to tell what will happen other than GA finishing on top with usc coming in second.  FL & TN are wild cards with tons of potential.  KU will be dangerous, but not a contender for the East title (kind of like a tx tech of the SEC east).  mizzou will be tough and much like KU.  vandy will suck.  Here's my prediction

ga
usc
fl / tn
ku / mizzou
vandy

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 06:21:12 PM

Agreed, the thing about the great coaches long term (and Patterson has had the most and longest term success that TCU has had in decades) they seem to do a great job of hiring assistants. If you work it right, like Urban or Nick, almost nobody will turn you down. But then that's a chicken or the egg type thing.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 06:33:49 AM

Agreed, the thing about the great coaches long term (and Patterson has had the most and longest term success that TCU has had in decades) they seem to do a great job of hiring assistants. If you work it right, like Urban or Nick, almost nobody will turn you down. But then that's a chicken or the egg type thing.

Concur...great point!  Patterson has been "courted" by countless other football programs, but he's not going anywhere.  He's got a great gig going in Fort Worth and he's happy where he is.  He's had some good OCs too.  For a couple of years he had dual OCs, which seemed to work out pretty well. 

Time will tell how well the coordinators at A&M and tu work out.  I'm all for paying top-dollar for good coordinators, but they have to produce and they're on a shorter leash compared to the head coach. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:20 AM

I think Patterson learned this himself by carrying Franchione!  Look at F-bomb's record at UNM and he appeared to have peaked, then started trendinging down again until Patterson became his DC, then he started back up and got the TCU job where Patterson followed and the success continued.

aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 05:05:44 PM

(
I think Patterson learned this himself by carrying Franchione!  Look at F-bomb's record at UNM and he appeared to have peaked, then started trendinging down again until Patterson became his DC, then he started back up and got the TCU job where Patterson followed and the success continued.

The question for 'horn is will Herman be tu's franchione (or was that Strong)?  Herman may be tu's Sumlin...capable of decent seasons, but consistently under-performs for the given talent level? 

On an unrelated note, I hope you all have a good holiday weekend.  Raise a beer for those military, police & first responders, and agency personnel (FBI, CIA, etc) that have perished in the line of duty.  God Bless & Semper Fi.

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #43 on: May 26, 2018, 07:50:30 PM

Statistically Strong was our worst coach ever, so I think he probably was worse than Franchione. Herman? Jury is out for now, but this year will be the time when the Polaroid starts to reveal itself (for those old enough to remember those). He is still recruiting well and it appears that he is filling positions of need. As we discussed, the patience level of fanbases that are shelling out millions is understandably short but I could see him getting the breathing room he needs if he can keep the trend line going in the right direction.

Happy Memorial Day Men!
I have to work, I won't have a chance to raise a beer (8 hour rule strikes again!) so you'll have to have one for me.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:12 AM

Statistically Strong was our worst coach ever, so I think he probably was worse than Franchione. Herman? Jury is out for now, but this year will be the time when the Polaroid starts to reveal itself (for those old enough to remember those).

Strong's record was abysmal, to put it nicely.  I think that 7 wins or less will be considered a disaster with 8 wins being an acceptable season, provided the losses aren't too bad.  I assume that most of the fanbase expects 9 wins (minimum) each year? 

8-hour rule...are you a commercial pilot, 'horn?  I'm wrapping up my time in the Corps (begin terminal leave in Dec 2019) and looking hard at the regional airlines...we'll see what happens. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 09:49:06 PM

I like to say that I was a pilot, then I bid on to the Airbus. The saying it true, it can take a poor pilot and make him mediocre and take a good pilot and make him mediocre.
The regionals and to some degree the majors are having a hard time finding qualified pilots. Where do you want to go?

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 07:22:33 AM

The regionals and to some degree the majors are having a hard time finding qualified pilots. Where do you want to go?

All options are on the table right now for career options outside the military.  Several of the regionals have an rotary transition program (GoJets, PSA, SkyWest).  I'd like to get back to the DFW area (Aledo).  I'm doing the research and will need to get back in the (fixed-wing) cockpit this year to knock off some rust and then get the R-ATP and build up the fixed wing PIC time in 2019. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #47 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:45 AM

I'm wrapping up my time in the Corps (begin terminal leave in Dec 2019) and looking hard at the regional airlines...we'll see what happens. 
Congratulations.  When I look back on my life, there's two major regrets and not joining the military was one of them.  Thank you for all you've undoubtedly sacrificed, or even just risked.

aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 12:18:52 PM

Congratulations.  When I look back on my life, there's two major regrets and not joining the military was one of them.  Thank you for all you've undoubtedly sacrificed, or even just risked.

Gracias, 3rd Gen Ag!  It's been a good ride.  I thought I'd just do one tour and get out, but plans change. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:47 PM

All options are on the table right now for career options outside the military.  Several of the regionals have an rotary transition program (GoJets, PSA, SkyWest).  I'd like to get back to the DFW area (Aledo).  I'm doing the research and will need to get back in the (fixed-wing) cockpit this year to knock off some rust and then get the R-ATP and build up the fixed wing PIC time in 2019. 
Okay, I'll P.M. you my email. Anything I can help you with let me know. American has pretty much locked us out from having influence in the hiring process, but I can probably get you some intel if you have questions on any particular carrier. AirlinePilotCentral.com is also a pretty good place to look, they tend to be a bit behind on some things but overall pretty good.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
  Print  

Jump to: