AggiesForum.com  
October 18, 2018, 10:49:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AggiesForum.com is THE best place to discuss Aggie Sports. Invite your fellow Aggies to join!!

Home   Help Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Regular Season Games  (Read 513 times)
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Co. H-1 Raiders 1995-1999

on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:06 AM

northwestern st is going to get crushed by 40+ points.  I think Starkel gets the nod as the starting QB with Mond as very good backup.  Both will get playing time, as will the # 3 (possibly # 4?) QB. 

Having 9 days to then prep for Clemson will be a bonus.  That game, win or lose will tell us a lot about what to expect for the remainder of the 2018 season.  Going 3-2 in September is probably what will happen, but a win over clemson (note I don't expect us to beat bama...yet) will be huge.  Gig'em!

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

"Boys, it's time to win some damn football games."

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:17 AM

Agreed.  I hate to say it, but I just want to see us hang in there against 'Bama, Clemson and Auburn.  Every other game on this slate is winnable if they continue to improve like they didin the spring and we keep key injuries at bay.  Heck, even those three are possible, just not all that likely, and I hesitate to even list Auburn.

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:08:40 AM

Agreed.  I hate to say it, but I just want to see us hang in there against 'Bama, Clemson and Auburn.  Every other game on this slate is winnable if they continue to improve like they didin the spring and we keep key injuries at bay.  Heck, even those three are possible, just not all that likely, and I hesitate to even list Auburn.

I think the Ags will hang in with every game.  Historically, the visiting team has won the game when the Ags play auburn so if that trend continues we'll beat auburn.  clemson is a toss up.  Granted the Ags will be the underdogs, but a win should not exactly be a shocker.  A win at Kyle will set a new precedent for A&M winning the big games at home, something Sumlin couldn't do much.  Losing close to bama is nothing to be ashamed of (a win would be a shocker!). 

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 03:54:22 PM

I know there has been a lot of excitement pumped into the air, it's kind of what I like about college football. But it will be a VERY interesting year. I think the highs and lows will be amplified. Some on your side will no doubt expect too much from a first-year coach and may even be pissed at a less than 10-11 win season (BrentC are you out there)? If he gets 11 wins then great, but I think it would be a pretty tall (and unfair) benchmark. We discussed this earlier when considering the effects of a huge contract on peoples expectations.
On our side, it is now time to start seeing results. I look at one of Mack's hallmarks as our ability to win close and last minute games. We haven't had that since about 2010. Should we start to show some of that ability, I'd be happy. It would show progress. Oh, and beating OU.

DallasHorn

You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score-
Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:52:55 AM

8-5 should be the worst case scenario this year, but I believe that 9-4 is pretty realistic.  tu is kind of a wild-card this year in the big xii.  If they can get to 8 wins (to include a bowl) I'd say that would show progress. 

bama and Georgia will most likely battle it out for the SEC.  auburn, if they only have a loss to bama, could sneak in to the playoffs if the SEC gets 2 teams in again this year (unlikely).  It will be interesting to see who else makes the playoffs:  Clemson from the ACC?, ohio st from the Big 10?, ou from the Big XII or a Pac-12 team? 

If TCU can beat ohio st, then there's a good chance that they win the big xii.  I don't know how well ou will do with Murray as their starting QB, but that will be interesting to see. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 06:48:18 AM

2 days to go until the season starts with a blowout win over cupcake northwestern st!  Mond is taking the first snap with Starkel playing the second half.  Mond must have improved a lot as Starkel was much better than him last season.  Fisher will arguably split the QB playing time for the Clemson game as well. 

Either QB could easily lead the team to wins over nw st & ulm.  By the time of the bama game, we should have a named starter.  A 2-QB rotation is a short-term solution to a long-term problem so hopefully this gets settled soon. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 06:42:16 AM

52-point blowout win...can't say I'm surprised!  A big win was expected and the Ags didn't disappoint.  I thought Mond looked much improved over last years' performance.  Starkel also looked good.  Will Fisher name a starter this week or continue to play both QBs in the Clemson game and then name a starter?  We'll see....! 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:56:19 AM

It was a good opening weekend for the 2018 college football season (the best time of the year!):  A&M won, t.u. lost (sorry 'horn, but if my prediction holds y'all will beat usc-west in Austin). 

The SEC only dropped one game (the REAL UT (sorry 'horn, lol!)).  WVA looked very good and they should be fighting it out with ou (Kyler Murray looked like the real deal (finally)) and TCU for the big xii championship spots.  Washington looked alright against Auburn and I wonder if the Pac-10 will get a team in the playoff.  My guess now is that the Pac-10 won't, but the other 4 conferences of the Power-5 will get a team in. 

Ohio St looks like they'll win the Big 10.  Michigan didn't look all that strong and Penn St looked terrible.  I don't see either of those teams challenging OSU this year.  I think TCU will likely get beat bad next weekend by the Buckeyes.  Clemson looked strong and will likely beat the Ags in College Station next weekend...I hate to say it, but I won't act surprised if/when it happens.  Same goes for the upcoming bama game.  2-2 is the most likely case for the September record. 

We'll see how well lsu does vs miami this evening and I'm interested in watching the VA Tech vs FL St game on Monday.  I hope you all (all 2-3 of you besides me, lol) have a great rest of your Labor Day weekend.  Gig'em!

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:06 PM

Well, the Clemson game could have gone a lot worse, but when you consider there was a missed field goal, a blocked field goal, a turnover, a missed off. pass interference call, and a BS touchback call?  I hate the term "moral victory" but dang!

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:58 PM

I think you have reason to be hopeful. Clemson is very good right now. The season is still young and there is much to see.
I'm looking for a game where we don't go flat for large segment of it.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:05 PM

Still didn't get totally what I was looking for. I wouldn't say we were flat, but we spotted them 14. I was watching them in warm-ups and their skill guys are wicked fast. Orlando did a nice job of shutting down the edge, without their running game they were completely off balance. I'm not sure I've ever heard of USC having negative rushing yards before. Now we get a pissed off TCU. Of course, they have been pissed off at the world for some time. The Rodney Dangerfield of college football!

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 12:27:45 PM

Well, it was still seemed to be a good game overall.  Maybe just some rust or jitters at the start?  Or both?

3rd Gen Ag

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 07:17:09 AM

Your horns appear to be on a roll, DH!  Congrats.  I'm actually rooting for them against OU this year.  Even though Stoops is no longer there, I still harbor more dislike of OU than the horns due to his years.

aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 07:33:48 AM

Ags are 3-2 after an ugly offensive performance and so-so special teams performance against the arky piglets.  Ags should be 6-2 and on a 4-game win streak (arky, uk, usc-e & miss st) going into the auburn game.  Kentucky will be tough, but all they can do is run, while the Ags are really good defending the run (pass defense is still suspect, though!). 

tu is doing much better than I expected, however that arguably ends this weekend.  I don't see tu pulling the upset over ou or WVA.  It's hard to say how they'll do against some of the other big xii teams, such as tech and osu. 

bama continues to roll, as is Georgia.  I think they'll meet in the SEC championship and that bama will win that game.  We'll see how the other conferences shake out, but I think that Clemson & ohio st will likely be in the playoffs and that ou has a very good shot as well, provided they can win the big xii. 

It's week 6 now for the 2018 season, meaning that we're at the halfway point (already) as of this weekend.  In Virginia we're starting to get some cooler weather and it's starting to feel like fall/autumn.  Best time of the year.  Gig'em!

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 10:59:22 AM

It would appear I was way wrong about Iowa State this year

3rd Gen Ag

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 03:37:10 PM

Congrats on the win, Horn!

aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 07:57:48 AM

Congrats on the win, Horn!

Didn't see that one coming, but crazy things do happen in rivalry games! 

Another ugly win for the Aggie O.  Not crazy about the missed FG and turnovers as we left plenty of points on the field.  Very happy about the Aggie D and how they completely shut down Kentucky's offense and only allowed a single TD in regulation.  Fisher needs to get his O in gear as we'll need a better performance down the stretch. 

usc-east is next.  The gamecocks will put up a good fight at home, but the Ags should win this game by 7-14 points.  Gig'em!

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 08:15:43 AM

Thanks, Don
It was a warm humid, sunny day in the Cotton Bowl. And I was stressed to the point of a headache when we let them back in the game from 21 down. I hate them for being the prototypical cheating team and robbing talent from Texas that they can't grow on their own. I consider them a parasite. I have and always will consider them cheating, low rent trailer trash.
But, and I know it's just me. I pull for any Texas team over out of state teams (Congrats back to you on taking down Kentucky).

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 10:01:03 AM

Thanks, Don
It was a warm humid, sunny day in the Cotton Bowl. And I was stressed to the point of a headache when we let them back in the game from 21 down. I hate them for being the prototypical cheating team and robbing talent from Texas that they can't grow on their own. I consider them a parasite. I have and always will consider them cheating, low rent trailer trash.
But, and I know it's just me. I pull for any Texas team over out of state teams (Congrats back to you on taking down Kentucky).
OKState, too!
South Carolina game did not go as well as I was thinking, but it was a win in a game where some expected us to lose.  I'll take it.

aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 03:02:07 PM

Another ugly win, but we did show improvement with the O by not committing any turnovers.  The D had way too many penalties that kept s-car's drives alive.  Allowing the TD in the final drive kept the game closer than expected.  Regardless, the Ags got the win (as they were expected to).  The coaching staff has some work to do, but the drive and the grit are there.  The Ags aren't folding in close games and losing, like what was common under Sumlin. 

We have 2 weeks to prep for miss st, which should be another win.  auburn looks bad this year, as does ol miss.  I'm going to say that A&M wins out until the lsu game.  If we continue to improve then there's a good chance we win that game. A&M could very well be 10-2 or 9-3 heading into a bowl game...not bad at all. 

'horn, your boys held on as Baylor was taking shots in the end-zone to win the game.  Your team is winning ugly, but winning.  The big xii looks like it will have wva, ou & tu in contention for the championship game (if the season ended today).  The next few weeks will go a long way in determining how things shake out in conference play.  TCU looks to be having a down year and tech looks much improved.  I'd say that Kingsbury will likely keep his job this year and perhaps off the hot seat all together if he has a good season next year. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:37 PM

I can't remember any coach out there except Leach that wasn't somewhat on the hot seat, and their Administration took care of that.

DallasHorn

Darrell Royal
  Print  

Jump to: