AggiesForum.com  
November 18, 2018, 02:00:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: AggiesForum.com is THE best place to discuss Aggie Sports. Invite your fellow Aggies to join!!

Home   Help Login Register  
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Regular Season Games  (Read 809 times)
DallasHorn
Aggie Superstar

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:48 PM

Does it strike anyone else, that we seem to be in an era with basically two types of teams. Spread/hurry up vs. dink and dunk/underneath/run (ball control). Granted there are points along the spectrum, but it seems more like two distinct groups than ever before. They both have problems, but mostly due to execution. Long drives and grinding are great, but it only seems to take a holding call to get behind the chains.
Spread seems to be geared to make 3rd down and 20, but is built on slinging it around (lower percentage plays). Well run they are both fun to watch, and neither type appears to automatically have the upper hand.

DallasHorn

You never lose a game if the opponent doesn't score-
Darrell Royal
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Co. H-1 Raiders 1995-1999

Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 08:42:30 PM

Wow!  What an absolute $hit-show of a game.  Thanks fisher.  That bye week really helped! 

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

"Boys, it's time to win some damn football games."

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 02:53:25 PM

Wow!  What an absolute $hit-show of a game.  Thanks fisher.  That bye week really helped! 
Seriously, I was at a party trying to keep track of the score via a phone with a bad signal.  The DVR recorded it and I only got halfway through the first quarter watching it before I decided washing dishes and doing laundry was less irritating. 

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 07:39:34 AM

The Ags were up 10-7 at the half and had some momentum.  The second half was garbage.  The kids played hard, but there was a lack of execution, giving up some big plays on D (like a 3rd & 21) and an overall lack of urgency.  WRs dropped 9 or more passes that could have kept drives alive. 

Here's hoping that this will serve as a wake up call.  One bad game does not define a season.  The Ags have won some ugly games, but they have to execute better if they want to win in November.  uab is the only guaranteed win left.  auburn and ol miss are both winnable, provided the Ags can FINISH drives for TDs more than settling for FGs.  The secondary needs some big improvement as well. 

auburn won't be running the ball much (nor should they try vs our run-D).  This is a winnable game and important to build momentum for a strong November.  Historically Novembers have not been good for Aggie football and I'd like to see that change.  Gig'em!

"I don't care how much talent a team has-if the boys don't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how can they play tough on Saturday?"

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 07:57:48 AM

auburn is an important game for the Ags.  I can see the game going either way, depending on what A&M team shows up.  Thankfully, the mistakes they made vs miss st should be easily correctable ("should"). 

For you, 'Horn, wva is a critical game as the loser is likely out of the big xii championship game? 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 01:36:32 PM

A&M had that game won, but somehow found a way to give it up.  The O really under-performed by only scoring 7 points early in the 3rd.  After that, a missed FG and a turnover really had an impact.  The Ags killed it in the stats, but could not put the game away. 

Mond is an average QB (at best).  I was really expecting the Ags to get up by 17 points and have a safe cushion that would allow Starkel to play some.  This is a huge disappointment.  The Ags will lose to ol miss if the O can't score.  Is Starkel that bad that Mond is really the best option at QB?  This was a wasted game.  I expect better from Fisher.  I could understand sumlin losing this game, but Fisher has no excuse.  Even the bad calls by the officials (and there were many bad calls) aren't to blame.  Thanks Fisher!  Thanks Mond! 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:28 AM

A&M should be able to handle ol miss.  They are not a good team by SEC standards, however they still pose a threat if A&M plays poorly.  Their D isn't very good so the Ags should be able to run the ball at will as well as pass at will.  I think Jimbo will stick to a balanced attack.  It will be interesting to see if he tries to work in more deep passes for Mond, which he has really struggled with over this season and last. 

I'd say that the priority for this game, aside from getting the 'W', is to play a complete game:  finish drives for more TDs than FGs, no missed FGs, limit any big plays against the D.  The Ags can't afford to to take a quarter (or half a quarter) off in any phase of the game.  I think we win by 14 points if we do that.  If not then we win (or lose) by 3-7.  Gig'em!

'Horn,
The big xii race is very interesting this year.  Your team is very much alive in the championship race, as are 3 other teams.  ou and wva have the inside track, but they have to play each other and that could easily open up tu or isu getting in.  I understand that Snyder from k-st is going to announce his (final) retirement by the end of this season?  He's a good man and a great coach. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
3rd Gen Ag

Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 11:45:48 AM

The back-to-back turnovers sent me to the liquor cabinet, but i had to keep the glass empty so I could go pick up my 13 year old from a band contest.  Glad they pulled it together and got the win but geez!

DHorn your guys appear to be up and down also, but overall handling it better.  I guess I wasn't too wrong about ISU, but still it took them a while to get some traction.

Class of 1996 - I miss the days of R.C., when Bonfire burned on campus, LSU was a gimme at the beginning of the season, Tech was a nobody, UH was on our schedule, and t.u. students drank all game because they knew they were gonna lose.  I don't miss our basketball teams being under .500, though.....
aggieraptor99
Aggie Superstar

Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 01:41:18 PM

Mond seems to be an average QB and I hope that Jimbo has a replacement in mind for next year. Two turnovers by him and one of them directly led to ol miss getting a TD.  Had he held onto the ball we would have scored at least a FG on that drive.  It was still a solid 14 point win and the Ags put the game away, something they should have done vs auburn.  The Ags are now 6-4 and will be 7-4 after they beat up on uab this weekend.  This is the final tune-up game prior to lsu. 

If the Ags can finish drives then they have a decent chance vs lsu.  lsu is throwing the ball well this season, which doesn't bode well for us.  Pulling out a win puts the Ags at 8-4 and then 9-4 after a bowl win.  lsu likely wins so the Ags will be 8-5 after a bowl win.  Not great, but not terrible either.  2019 will need to have at least 9 wins. 

Paul "Bear" Bryant
  Print  

Jump to: